Ely Cathedral has its origins dating from AD 672 when St Etheldreda built an Abbey Church. The present building dates back to 1083, and cathedral status was granted it in 1109. Until the reformation it was the Church of St Etheldreda and St Peter, at which point it was refounded as the Cathedral Church of the Holy and Undivided Trinity of Ely, continuing as the principal church of the Diocese of Ely, in Cambridgeshire, England. It is the seat of the Bishop of Ely. Pam Stone standing next to a Russian cannon captured at Sebastopol during the Crimean War on the Palace Green in front of the West Tower of Ely Cathedral.